Saturday, June 12, 2010

Is This The Future Of The Radio-Records Relationship?

Katie Dean's regular Friday "Mercury Radio Report" email to programmers contained this offer from the label: if you'd like to listen via stream to the new Jamey Johnson that debuted last week on the CMT Awards telecast, you're welcome to hear the single with a click, but if you'd like to play it on the air for your listeners, it's going to cost you $1.29 at iTunes or 99 cents Amazon.

You can't blame them for trying something a bit different - and making a few bucks along the way - while hopefully building a downloads story for the August launch of Jamey's huge new album.

If their strategy works, what will you choose to play if/when you have to pay for every song you consider adding to your radio station?

Quality stuff only, I'm betting.

.. which just might make radio even better for both listeners and our advertisers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great song, and totally worth the money, I spend more than that on a cup of crappy coffee from a gas station. Jamey Johnson is to me what country music should be. He does a great job of bringing us back to our roots, and showing the younger fans what talent is. Glad to see him finally getting some well deserved recognition in our industry.

Jeff Davidson said...

This is the way it should be done and is the way the industry should move. The only thing I can't understand is how/why it took so long.

Rodney Peterson said...

I saw this song on the ITunes top 200 (Jamey Johnson-Macon) played the 30 second sample was surprised with that name he's a guy-not that it matters-I'm watching it to see what happens chart wise before I buy it-the one I did buy after sampling was The Little White Church single which is a pretty good dance record-I'm watching the new Keith Urban track and Lee Brice to see where they go-most of the new songs I buy are not country, but Hot 100 type entries and songs that will find their way to the Hot 100, dance, R&B charts, etc.-

I've collected music all my life so my ITunes collection is nearing 15,000 tracks right now-mostly singles and top album tracks, very few full LP's except for a few Greatest Hits packages.

Anonymous said...

Or you can go to CMT.com & record the full performance for free. Radio should NEVER be asked to pay to play a song. N-E-V-E-R!!!