Thursday, October 26, 2006

"Radio Better Be Able To Answer The Dixie Chicks"

The folks in Natalie Maines hometown got an advance look at their new "Shut Up And Sing" movie Saturday night and even in the city mentioned in their song "Lubbock Or Leave It" the kind of people who went to the preview were quite supportive.

* "Oh I loved it. It was great. I love the Dixie Chicks," one audience member said. "The people who come off looking really bad were the ones who were saying you shouldn't say what you said. They came off looking like ignorant hicks," another audience member said.
* "I've always been a fan of Natalie Maines, and I think she's awesome for sticking to her guns, and just saying what she believed, and I think that's her right," a third audience member said.
* "It didn't really show their political opinion. I think it showed America's political opinion," another audience member added.
* "I agree with them, and I hope they know that we still love them," another audience member said.




"During interviews they’re bringing up hot-button words like “censorship” and “corporate ban” — as they did on Larry King last night. Natalie Maines singled out Cox and Cumulus by name. The Chicks’ “Shut Up and Sing” flick opens this weekend and they’re doing lots of appearances (Oprah yesterday, Good Morning America today). Radio needs to be ready to answer the inevitable questions – and to remind people that those 12 words Natalie spoke from the stage in 2003 immediately angered a bunch of listeners."
- Inside Radio's Tom Taylor

No comments: