Monday, January 30, 2006

Is Multitasking Deadly?

Tobi Elkin, Executive Editor at MediaPost has some observations and advice for you:

1. Jeffrey Frumin, a marketing consultant in New York: "I would say simultaneously I would have three things going at once," he said. "I'm on the phone, I'm instant messaging, and reading and responding to e-mails," he said. Sound like you?

2. A Basex report finds that the average "knowledge worker"--someone who is part of the growing information economy--loses 2.1 hours a day to interruptions. If those workers make an average of $21 an hour, that adds up to $588 billion a year--more than the gross domestic product of Argentina.

3. "If I didn't multitask, it would be a very, very long day," said Heather Dubuque, a client relations manager in New York.

What's the answer? Just stop. Pause. Everyone deserves a chance to think and prioritize.

No comments: